Build on Your Strengths
Okay, we know a lot of people must think the “back office” is just another name for how you arrange your files and where you put your paper clips. While all of that needs to be taken care of, we specifically have in mind establishing efficient procedures for receiving, processing, and receipting donations or orders, managing direct mail, and producing reports.
Here are a few key basics to keep in mind:
- Phone Center – Who will manage your media response and take calls for donations or orders? If you are receiving a high volume of calls, you may want to consider outsourcing your calls to a service provider.
- Donor or Order Receipting – Receipts should ideally be handled on a daily basis. Every day that passes in delaying a receipt to a donor means that the donor will be less likely to give again. Delays in receipting orders will decrease the likelihood of future sales.
- Fulfillment – Do you have a system to process products or premiums that need to be sent to the donor or those who order?
- Tracking Response – It is important to track response to each program, each station, and each direct mail piece that comes into your media ministry. It can be done in-house, but high volume may require outsourcing.
- Database Development and Management – Your database is the lifeblood of your media funding. It needs to be continually grown, managed, and maintained to ensure the best possible communication with your supporters.
- Reporting – Are you producing and reviewing the reports necessary to know what is happening with your supporters … sales reports, pledge reports, donor reports, partner reports, event reports, etc?
Most of these items seem like common sense. However, far too many Christian television producers fail because of their back office procedures even though they have an excellent and popular program with good media placement. Don’t let the back office bite you from behind!
This is all part of a bigger picture that includes media production, locating a media placement agency, and measuring media response. For more information on the total package Download Your Free Guide To Successful Media Outreach!